Transitioning to a net-zero carbon economy might seem overwhelming, and it can be challenging to understand climate change impacts, risks, and opportunities and agree on a long-term strategy. This exercise appears complex as there are many approaches, initiatives, or schemes to bring these together to develop a single overarching strategy that works for your business?
The design of our Climate Leadership Framework is to overcome these barriers and provide clarity for senior strategic leaders. It reviews a company’s current performance on climate change using a scorecard assessment before providing specific actions in a custom-built net-zero roadmap that can be embedded in your strategic plans.
About the framework
The Climate Leadership Framework is a powerful internal tool, helping those already championing climate change in influencing the organization’s senior strategic leaders and elevating actions on climate change within their organization.
Benefits of the Climate Leadership Framework
- Holistic – evaluation of the entire value chain, the enablement of avoided emissions, and an emphasis on the future through innovation and influencing
- Strategic – evaluation of the current performance using a proven scorecard approach presented with minimal technical detail
- Guidance – development of a tailored roadmap to make real progress towards a net-zero economy
- Engagement – powerful opportunities for internal collaboration and engagement
- Resource-light – minimal upfront time and effort
- Recognition – demonstrate a clear climate strategy and an ambition to become a climate leader
Using the framework, we help companies develop a climate strategy in two phases:
- Climate impact assessment – Research and expert evaluation of a company’s current activities. The scorecard ranks performance across four levels, with level 4 indicating that a company is doing everything to transition to a net-zero carbon economy successfully.
- Roadmap development and engagement – Develop a roadmap to progress against the framework and a collaborative workshop to present the scorecard results and embed the roadmap in the company strategy.
The Climate Leadership Framework is a proven tool that clients can use to track their progress on an ongoing basis.
How we assess climate performance
The Climate Leadership Framework assesses a company’s climate performance through three perspectives:
- Own operations – all emissions under your operational control
- Value chain – upstream and downstream emissions in the supply chain and with customers
- Avoided emissions – development of products and services that contribute to a net-zero emissions future
In relation to the above three perspectives, the performance score will be measured against the following five streams of activity:
- Target setting – Are targets sufficiently ambitious and in the right area?
- Implementation – Is there a clear action plan to achieve these targets?
- Contextual analysis – Does the business fully understand the issues, opportunities, and risks it faces?
- Innovation – Is there a structured approach to develop carbon reduction solutions beyond current short-term targets?
- Influencing – What actions are being taken to drive broader system changes necessary to achieve significant carbon reduction?